So being that I have to eventually salivate over an iPad, but already have a Kindle 2, I’m going to venture this review based on browsing the web, watching Steve Jobs’s introduction of the product and just my general sense.
1) The iPad will be a big hit.
2) The kindle is already a hit and will not be supplanted by the iPad once people reach the heart of summer and go down to the beach and have the shiny reflective surface blind them mercilessly when then are trying to show it off.
3)Kindle app store…wtf. With that slow display and limited input capability? Do you really expect a user to use the toggle switch to traverse practice tests in a textbook and supply answers?
4) The kindle is a dedicated reading device that has and will change how we read books.
5) The iPad is a huge highly capable iPod Touch and will eat into mac computer sales. I probably will get one after the 3G version comes out so that I always have a backup network to get to in a pinch, but what I probably will do is walk around with my Kindle and my iPad in my backpack and leave my macbook home for doing intensive stuff (like editing video, concentrated writing, et cetera).
6) If the kindle app for the ipod touch works as described (as the other 140,000 app store apps are expected to), why do I care if I’m holding my iPad or my Kindle if they sync the same purchase between the two from Amazon?
7) I now can line up my lightscribe pen, my droid, my kindle 2, an iPad, my apple TV and my MacBook in a row and take a picture just because each one is slightly bigger than the next.
8 ) The reason I think that the iPad will eat into laptop sales rather than Kindle sales is because if iWork on the iPad is for real, you now have a productivity suite in your hands that is desktop quality and capable in a useful form factor. If you keep docs on iWork.com or even on your iDisk on me.com you can get to any piece of work, download it and then show or edit it.
9) I was walking around the mall behind my wife today while she went up and down aisles in Filene’s basement in Watertown. my Kindle 2 was paperback book sized. An iPad would be TOO BIG to stand around and and act semi-attentive. Heck my kindle 2 gets looks from people and a kindle dx would be too big also.
10) What I didn’t see (which may be there) is if the Music App on the iPad can broadcast/stream to my apple TV like itunes on my macbook (not the streaming on the appleTV, the reverse where you can tell the macbook to use the appleTV as its speakers). If it can, I could see how useful (sitting on the couch like Steve Jobs) browsing/reading while my selection of music goes to my Apple TV and my surround system.
That’s my take on it. Kind of disjoint. I might get one in 90 days or so when the 3G version comes out…or wait till my birthday in the summer…or wait till Christmas. Although if I wait till Christmas, I’ll wait until January to see if they do an update at MacWorld or some other venue.