So I’ve been playing with the one that arrived on saturday. You can see the videos of me opening it. Now that I’ve used it for a day I can say the following:
- If you are not particularly technical, this is a device for you. I’m not saying this in the pejorative sense. I mean that computers and laptops have “baggage” that you need to assimilate in some fashion in order to get to the content that you wish to get to. If you are not a content creator, computers are a complete waste of time, space AND knowledge. This is not.
- From a couch potato perspective, there are 2 features that it lacks. It does need a camera for video conferencing. The other thing is something that may not make sense to a lot of people: AirTunes. The ultimate couch potato device does NOT allow me to make my music ambient while I read a book on the device or browse the web. This has got to be an easy feature now that the apple tv and airport express are part of the home.
- The WSJ app is awesome…BUT…it seems to want to load every previous issue of the paper each time I use it before I can look at the current issue. This is problematic when trying to just get TODAY’s news. This is a rap on ruppert murdoch more than steve jobs.
- There does seem to be some notable lag on the browser…it isn’t faster than my macbook pro.
- I installed pages. nice. but without iwork.com it seems a bit stunted.
- The color is absolutely vivid. It made my kindle cry.
- It is not readable in sunlight, I tried it today. I do not mean grab a piece of information. I mean readable, like on a beach for 2 hours.
- The map software is very good.
- The new mail program is very nice.
- ibooks page turning is very nice
- The kindle app is beautiful, but doesn’t allow you to get to home once you are reading a book UNTIL you change the orientation of the screen by 90 degrees. Then it lets the button appear. seems kinda odd.
Anyway I have more playing to do.